Friday, October 8, 2010

My Biggest Loser Experience


We can finally let the cat out of the bag!  We tried out for Biggest Loser.  My sister-in-law had tried out before and even made it on the show as an alternate and their first taping for Season 10.  Because she did not make it on the show they gave her a VIP pass to come back for Season 11 and get another interview by the casting directors (skipping to the front of the line).  They loved her but she needed a partner for Season 11.  She recruited Jeff while we vacationed together over the summer.  He was a hard sell even though he has always wanted to go on the show ever since he started watching it.  She really felt like they had a shot as a team.  

So, we all made plans to go to the casting call (mid-July) in Portland.  Jeff and Nikki got right in and had their interview.  During the interview they discovered Jeff had an overweight wife.  They seemed very interested in that but he told them I was not interested in being on the show.  They didn't feel like the interview was a slam dunk so Nikki recruited others just in case.  They had really wanted to pair her with another military wife.  Obviously they thought both Jeff and Nikki should be paired up differently.  

There was still time before casting calls were over and I could see Jeff's window of opportunity closing.  I decided to swallow my pride and get my buns down there for an interview.  I did not want Jeff to lose out on an opportunity like this, especially since he wanted it so bad.  I thought the whole idea of being on the show humiliating and torturous, but I was willing to do just about anything to help him on his quest to change himself - tv show and all.

I was able to zoom right in and instantly get an interview.  The casting director seemed to love hearing about my experiences (homebirth, busy mom, feeling like an ugly duckling in my family), and I felt that the interview went really well.  I was right.  I got a call that evening for on-camera interview for Jeff and I.  

Then the downturn happened.  Nikki saw her dreams falling apart as the show wanted us instead of her and Jeff.  She was crushed.  We all felt just awful.  She talked it out with her mom, and although was still having a really hard time, she knew the Lord had a plan for all of us.  That night and the next morning were very emotionally rocky for all 3 of us.  As we discussed our struggles and why were all here at this moment we realized this experience (good outcome or not) was a turning point.  We all wanted the same goal - to change our lives.  We discussed our different struggles and knew that whoever ended up on the show we'd support 100%.  Luckily Nikki was able to recruit a friend to be her partner and got her own on-camera interview.  Both our on-camera interviews went well, and were given "pink slips" to do our home videos and complete the paperwork and background check (lots of interview questions, legal stuff, and a bio).  

Although our on-camera interview was a success, we were emotional basket cases through most of it.  The whole weekend brought up lots of emotions.  Jeff was truly perfect for the show because his heart was in it.  I had to admit the whole thing scared me, but I'd do anything for him, including showing my fat on national television.  They were concerned I didn't weigh enough, but in the end we still got the go-ahead.

We spent the next week doing our video.  Although we had fun with the kids, it was pure torture being on camera.  It made me sick to see myself on video, especially since I hide as much as I can in photos.  Plus, they want you to video yourself eating, playing around, and as modestly exposed as you can get to truly see your fat on camera.  Yuck!  It was awful.  We sighed a huge sigh of relief when that was mailed off and over with.

Then we played the waiting game.  Three months we waited.  Since Nikki had experience with this before, she understood the basic timeline for things.  She emailed the casting company for an update and found out she and her partner didn't make the show.  She suggested we do the same - so I sent an email as well.  It took them 3 days to get back to me, but finally we got the "we're sorry and thank you for participating" email.

It was quite the roller coaster ride.  After that emotional weekend Jeff and I both made the decision to change  no matter how hard.  Those 3 months were torture since we wanted to start our weight loss plan right then.  We held off since we didn't want to lose weight if we actually made the show (especially me, since even losing a little might make me "not big enough" for Biggest Loser).  Nikki too, doesn't seem big enough for the show, but evidently how big you are doesn't automatically make you a good candidate.  They want "story" and personality along with weight.  

The journey was long, and I'm relieved we didn't make it.  I'm sad for Jeff though.  He wanted it so bad.  I'm glad it's all over now, and we both decided we'd never do it again.  It was too emotionally draining, and horrible having to stay fat in order to make the show.  Jeff is dealing with his demons slowly and painfully as we pursue our new course.  I'm doing fine with the changes, and fully resolved in sticking with our weight loss plan.  I think because food isn't as "mental" with me as it is Jeff, I'm having an easier time.  I have PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome), so weight and metabolism are all interwoven in a different set of problems for me.  I've always thought of it as a curse, but in a lot of ways I'm blessed.  Once on a course that works I am able to change pretty easily.  When weight isn't related to a health problem it's 10 times harder to overcome.  Either way, we are fully committed to getting healthy together.  We are a team no matter what.  Biggest Loser or not!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Amber, I'm sorry. What a letdown. Luckily you don't have to be the Biggest Loser to be a loser (that makes sense, right?). It sounds like this might be a catalyst for both of you to move toward something good. Good luck to you both. We can ALL do a better job of being our best selves.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...