Sunday, October 3, 2010

Conference Meme

I really tried hard to listen and take from conference as much as I could.  I'm joining Stephanie (Jeff's cousin) in her General Conference Book Club this time in order to heed the Prophet's council (I planned on doing this anyway, but it's fun to do it with others).

See here http://diapersanddivinity.com/2010/09/30/behold-a-blog-stuff-extravaganza/ for the questions and reasons I'm joining in on this meme.

General Conference Highlights, October 2010:

1. Who were your three favorite speakers?  Jeffrey R. Holland (my favorite apostle), Our Prophet Thomas S. Monson, and Mervyn B. Arnold (the cow story ~ keeping the commandments keep us from spiritual and temporal death)

2. Favorite talk?  It's hard to choose, but the Prophet's talk was so filled with things that resonated with me, I guess I'd have to choose it.  But, Elder Holland's talk made me cry, and Elder Arnold's cow story totally hit home.

3. Favorite hymn sung during Conference?  Dear to the Heart of the Shepherd  (it's a favorite)

4. Who wore the best tie?  Didn't pay attention to ties.

5. Do you think conference had a “theme”?  Saturday seemed to be "Obedience."  Sunday seemed to be "Faith."  This is hard to pin down, though, since I got so much more out of it than just these topics.

6. Share a few of your favorite quotes (paraphrasing is fine).

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~ Leonardo da Vinci

The Lord is voting for me, Satan is voting against me, so it's my vote that counts. ~ Boyd K. Packer

Give thanks for what you have, and miracles will follow. ~ Thomas S. Monson

We can lift ourselves and others when we refuse to remain in the realm of negative thoughts. ~ Thomas S. Monson

A prayerful life is the key to possessing gratitude. ~ Thomas S. Monson

Blackberries read in church make green bishops blue. ~ Gerrit W. Gong

7. Something that made you smile during conference.  Sister's Gong's gift of bread to the missionaries, and the response, "Keep me in mind if things don't work out with Brother Gong."  (said to the missionary president's wife)

8. Any evidence that your children paid attention?  Yes!  They were listening toward the end and when we forced them to sit and listen.  They even sang along to some of the songs, along with really getting into I Am a Child of God.

9. If you had to give a talk in General Conference (don’t faint, this is hypothetical), what do you think you’d speak about?  Obedience (food storage, daily scriptures and prayer, visiting teaching ~ all things I'm working on)

10. What are some of your post-conference goals?  Be more grateful and record it regularly, study the conference talks, "don't be a cow!" (see #1) 

3 comments:

  1. As we have been counciled and this session's theme...."We need to build a testimony, and know of assurity that there is a Prophet and Apostles leading His church in these times." . Also, President Monson looked rather very tired and concerned...more than I and other's we have talked to have ver seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, Amber. Thanks for joining in on this! It will be fun to have you join in on GCBC too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Don't be a cow!" I think I will repeat that to my children when they need a little nudge in the right direction. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...